Sunday, April 16, 2006

All the technology

I am in a super duper excellent home and view. As good as the place I usually stay at, this is about three times better. For one thing it has a wood burner and the view is from an elevated setting.

It is raining, but it is a beautiful view. I can't ever remember thinking how enjoyable the view was in Toledo, OH --- where I lived for the first 35 years of my life.

I am here on a rainy morning, the dogs have me up earlier than I would like, though it is already about 8 a.m. I was going to turn on NPR, but early on the weekend they play a format that makes me wonder how any one could contribute to them.

So I start with TV, but there is a satellite disc, which means to find something that might be enjoyable you have to go through no less than 300 channels. Then I remember at the end of the dial is xmradio. So I scan through the stations and the fifth one I come to is 'The Joint,' a reggae and dancehall station. Sweet.

But now I want to be in the Caribbean. For the last 14 years I have been living in the Adirondacks --- a place where many who can afford it head south for Easter break. Usually I could care less. Three years ago when the winter was so brutally cold that you couldn't go outside to snowshoe or ski, I lusted for the Caribbean, but for the most part I like the spring here. So many people leave and head out, that it becomes a little more private place. A warm spring day (in the low 70's) is one of the most wonderful things, but I think you have to endure winter to make it enjoyable.

As I dance back and forth between computers, I have an older iMac at the house sitting site, I am moving files around. Using this time as an opportunity to clean up the older computer and save files. It is interesting to find something that has ben removed from your memory. Well not removed, but misplaced, and when you see it it comes back. It is sort of like hearing The Joint. It seems like there is a common strain in reggae music to take music that may be a pop song and make it a reggae song. Not just a cover. Often when you hear the song you have to think about it.

Someone did the Police song: "Every Breath You Take" and made it a different type of song. Not just genre, but the message of the song. I think many people thought of the song as a song of devotion, but I read somewhere that it is actually a song about stalking. The reggae version is a song about a fight for freedom (or perhaps sex), with the added lyrics: "the hotter the battle, the sweeter the victory."

hmm, I guess I rambled a bit too much. All brought to you via the applications we kind of take for granted.

Like a blog without a view.



Technorati Tags:
, , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home