Wednesday, April 12, 2006

39 to 19


If we had more than four hits I would be surprised. In fact, it is quite possible there were two no-hitters tossed in a 39-19 victory for us. We were never behind, never in doubt, had pretty much complete control of the game and I never relaxed the whole game.

We had girls walking bases, stealing on passed balls, over throws, under throws and girls swinging at balls that were a foot outside the plate. The game was going on and on and on and I thought it would be called for darkness.

The score was 7-4 after the first inning, then 11-4 after the second, then 19-7, and on and on, but every time the other team started cheering I thought there were going to start a rally. The umpire suggested I stop stealing home, but much of it was on past balls.

This was supposed to be one of the best teams in the league. The score was supposed to be 39-4 and we were supposed to lose. I found out in the last inning there was not a seven-run limit and I thought at any moment the other team was going to score 21 runs.

I stopped the stealing, then the other team scored five runs and I didn't know what the next or what the third pitcher would do. I didn't know what anyone would do. I didn't think the other team was suddenly going to be better defensively, but then my players started swinging so they could have a hit to brag about. I was afraid we were going to pull muscles from swinging at balls so far outside that the catcher couldn't touch them.

Only one of my pitchers --- the last one --- really stopped the other team from scoring, she made three plays, 1-3 and the game was over.

And in all of that, the only real mistake we made was I. I was never thinking about the game, but about our players. I worried if everyone would get in to play. I worried about the girl who cried because I took her out. And then I worried about when I put her back in to pitch, and she was the star.

After the first inning when we had the scored the maximum runs allowed the other team stopped. I thought we did something wrong, I didn't know how to fix it.

Sure there is no 'I' in 'team,' but feel like there would have been a lot of 'me' in the end result if we lost. This was a time when I felt the ladies won one for me, even if they didn't know it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home