Tuesday, April 04, 2006

reading the book

I'm floating in a dilemma.

Just searched out our student's myspace sites. It is clear, the prevailing sense is all the kids want to be older and to be drinking. On the other side they also are proud to be from a small town and like all their friends. I guess they don't think about what they don't have, when they think about the fact that they have friends. It's funny, because I think that for most of them, once they are out in the real world....if they go to the real world --- they will find new (dare I say better) friends.

Even better news the myspaces were not filled with: "I hate school," "school is stupid," or "the librarian is a jerk." I am especially happy about that last one or the lack of the last one.

The dilemma is I think the world and the kids in general swear too much and many of the books that are available, contain swearing. I don't swear much, but I am not a prude. The books either reflect society or leads it, either way it isn't a pretty picture. I never thought about it much when reading. I just figured that, sure there are words not suitable in school, but are alright in the library --- in the books. But the more I hear the kids swearing, the more I wonder.

There is a Vermont radio station, the Buzz, that I occasionally listen to on my seven minute drive to school. I am guarantee to hear two or three words what would lead to a write up (referral) if a student in my school said them.

Should I lead the censorship?

And the irony of this comes just as I was patting myself on the back. I think, of the books I have ordered this year, 80 percent have been looked at or checked out. The 'looked at' relates to the reference books that don't often get checked out. For the highschool students the more the lifestyle you don't want them to emulate, the more popular. I think there is a waiting list for Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas."

I don't suppose there is an easy answer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home