Saturday, April 01, 2006

and it costs

One of the things they don't tell you in library school is how much it costs to work for a school. (The list goes on and on, they don't give you a list of dirty words that kids will call you after they get caught doing something wrong {when a student does something wrong, it is your fault}.)

About every week there is a different fundraiser going on. On Fridays there is some kind of teacher fundraiser, like wear jeans and donate $5. For me this is a straight forward donation, since I don't own any jeans. Or a 50/50 raffle. This was a straight forward donation, since I bought my tickets after the raffle had been drawn. This week I was hit up for at least two fundraisers.

I am at the end of my philanthropy kindness.

I would have to say most of the donations are things I wouldn't do out of the blue. I won't donate $10 to a student to behave how we should expect them to behave for nothing. Nor would I buy over-priced pizzas. And I would never donate to a group that doesn't ask their parents to also donate.

Last week, I realized that the junior class had hit me up for $37 for $20 worth of pizzas and several of the students did not sell ANY pizzas. That is to say they did not ask their neighbor, they did not ask their grandma, they did not ask their PARENTS. Added to this is the fact is this fundraising often goes to a trip that is basically a vacation. Last year our seniors went on a cruise -- and drank their way through it. This year seniors are going to Southern California. (I heard a senior complaining about the trip because they actually had to go on educational tours. He wanted to lay on the beach for five days.)

That was the line.

Last night I didn't attend the fish fry fundraiser. A couple people asked me if I was going. Mostly because up until now I have gone to about 78 percent of the events and I have bought into 92 percent of the merchandise sold. The last fundraiser dinner (Mexican), there was about a 60 percent family participation. Maybe every student had one parent, but often it was only one parent; no siblings and no grandparents. With the world of divorce, most kids have at least four parents and eight siblings.

About 70 people showed up to the Mexican dinner, and maybe 45 were related to the students. The other 25 people were like me --- either a faculty member or a friend of someone.

I figure, if I am doing my math right, if the 'non-connected by family' participants stop financing the fundraising, there will be two good results. First, the fund raising burden will be placed more on the shoulders of those benefiting from it and second, they only raise enough money for a weekend trip to the Washington Monument.

Both would be very educational.



Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home