Monday, March 27, 2006

if you are a student...

I wish, if there was one thing we could teach, it would be the apology.

I am the first to say you can not just say, "I am sorry," and that relinquishes you from trying to do good or all the wrong you created. But when you falter, you should be willing to ask for forgiveness.

I am not sure what pries that thought into my head tonight (10:04 p.m.), but it seems to have slipped in.

My main thought is that a week ago, I put on the morning announcements that the next day would be spring picture day and to dress nice. Right after the Tuesday announcement I started hearing that the students were upset at the lack of warning that this was picture day.

They would have dressed nice if they knew. When a teacher came up to me and said I was going to catch a lot of flack I was a little annoyed. I would have to say of all the announcements I have made, from photos for the baseball team to the softball team have mostly been ignored.

This time I thought I had screwed up. then I check the previous day e-mail and there it was right in the announcements. I forwarded to the teacher, whom I am guessing did not tell all the students they were wrong, but they were.

That is a small thing, but it is nearing the end of the year and a lot of the small things are adding up. Today a student told me I told him how to do his bibliography card wrong. The english teacher has the students do their MLA style citation on an index card and connects those cards with note cards. Bib card one could be an encyclopedia. Three or four note cards, with facts about a give topic could be associated with that card. So it might be note card one, with a number 1 on it, showing the note came from the resource #1.

I looked at the student's card and he didn't have an author or a book listed on it. I think he had an article from the book, a publisher and a copyright. Again, I thought maybe I did make a mistake, but I remembered the only thing I did tell him, was to use the big long title of the book.

"O yea," says student.

I guess in his mind that was the apology.

Maybe I want the apology because it seems educators receive so few 'thank yous.' I can accept the lack of thank yous, I just don't want to be beat up when I didn't do anything wrong and if I actually did the right thing, "I am sorry, that was my mistake."

This goes with the thought that this generation is the 'entitlement generation.' They deserve everything.

I don't think they deserve to be wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home