Sunday, June 18, 2006

almost back home

Also posted here

I moved some more stuff to my house. I am almost out of here. We have one last week.

The end is kind of tough for teachers. Mostly because the kids have given up.

Moving has been kind of difficult for me.

I miss my sweetie. In the last couple months it ahs been kind of difficult. Some because I haven't seen her, but mostly because I never know when I am going to see her. For example we don't have a get together date right now, so I might not see her until July.

One of the reasons is she is having a tough time with her kids. Ironically the same age kids that I have the most difficulty with in the library. With many of the same behaviors.

The odd thing is she actually listens to me when I give her advice. Odd because I have never been a parent and because I have limited success with the students in the library

I just made a 16 year old made at me. It started with a conversation where I asked the student's advice on how to structure the library in a way that kinds came and did their work. His philosophy was that teachers should not push kids, that if they chose to maintain a 45 average in Math, they should be allowed to.

The discussion went back and forth, with him stating that as long as he didn't hurt others, and regardless of what other teachers said, he should have the freedom to fail as he liked.

He didn't get made about that -- more he relished in a debate victory that he believed he had over me.

So the next day I asked him for his home address. He was a little put off, he wanted to know why I wanted that. I told him I was going to draw up a contract for his mother to sign, which in effect would be her agreeing with the students philosophy that teachers in the school should not push her son --- if he wanted to fail he could. He didn't want to give me his address. What made it worse, I did it in front of a couple other students, who knew his mother wouldn't sign such a contract.

The next period, I said to him that maybe it would be better to call his mom, since we could settle it over the phone. Again he did not want to give out the info (which I should point out I have access to as a teacher). He was a little annoyed that he could have a perfect solution to laziness, but was undermined by someone who would be glad to call his parents. Worse --- I think --- is I would be revealing to his mother that (in essence) the reason he is doing poorly in math is because he isn't even trying. AND that he wants the faculty at my school to sign on to that.

I never say I am smarter than the after kid, but I am cunning and I have a little wisdom.

Good news, the Tigers continue to win and hold the best record in Baseball!


Technorati Tags:
, , ,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home