Tuesday, March 21, 2006

waiting for a basketball game

I can almost guarantee a fun time at the elementary school basketball game. Indian Lake is playing Wells. It seems like I remember that it was Wells that had one of those teams that plays it’s first string all the way though the game, so even if your team is winning at half time, when you let the other kids play they get crushed. Though I might be wrong on that.

There is a school board meeting tonight and the library is hopping right now as the laptops are being set up for the High School presentation. Like good teachers they have the powerpoint (have to have a powerpoint right??!?) presentations on the network, but they also have them on a CD as a back up.

Both the network guy and I are pleasantly surprised at the response to the laptops. The students really love them and --- so far --- see it as a privilege. We have about a 78 percent plug in rate. Of course the 22 percent of the times that we have to plug them in is kind of frustrating. We have wireless set up in the library for those laptops. For students going off to college, it is likely their computers will be laptops.

I would say on a whole, as much as the students like them, the adults dislike them. I am one of them, I can never get used to the mousepad or the keyboard.

I so would prefer to be napping right now, since I want to go to the school board meeting, but then I would miss the game. I think kids always know when there is a teacher/librarian in the audience. The younger kids seem to show their appreciation more too. Hmmm maybe after an hour I can sneak away for a nap.

I often thought of napping in the reading room on the carpeted floor, but after the first head lice scare, I have been saving my naps for the comfort of home. Even if school is my home away from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home